Sunday, October 3, 2010

Last night of Autocamping



We were going to reach Rome the next day and we had a nice hostel all picked out in Rome. We would spend one more night autocamping between Gaeta and Rome. This is where we wound up. We had a long discussion with the very hip Italian at the entrace of the autocamp. I think it cost us fifty Euros to camp for the night, which was expensive, but we were all kinda tired and confused and we could hear the beach calling us (we got to the autocamp around two in the afternoon I think). After we parked the car we walked down the straight road about half a mile to the beach and swam in the water for the rest of the day. There were actually pretty good sized waves this day and it was sunny and the beach was actual sand, which was awesome. We could swim really far off into the sea because every hundred feet or so there was another sand bar and the water was shallow enough to stand in again. We saw a giant pinkish jellyfish too. It was about a foot in diameter and swimming out to sea. We followed it and swam around it for a while. it was very cool.



We finally got tired of the beach and headed back to our car for dinner and washing and that sort of thing. There were tons of bugs again, but I took comfort in the thought of a real bed the next day.



The only light came from a giant street light set up right next to our car. I threw my towel over it eventually so we could sleep (I didn't use my towel again until I washed it as the lamp was covered in a thousand dead and dying night bugs of all shapes and sizes and actually fell off the lamp and onto the dirt twice during the night).



Tallis and I had our nightly game of Texas hold 'em again this night. This is the hand I lost on. Those of you who know anything about poker can see how agonizing this hand was for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment